Russian timber industry news #3-2016
- Investment project of Vologodsky Les LLC worth RUR 800 million has been included in the priority list. The project entails establishment of plywood production in Vologda and woodworking complex in Verhovazhsky district of Vologda region.
- Selenga pulpmill plans to bring its products to the markets of South Korea and Japan. Previously consumers in these countries were not satisfied with the quality of containerboard, but the plant has invested $2 million in upgrading production facilities: in January 2016, the modernization of the boardmaking machine was completed, in February, recovery boiler #2 is expected to start.
- At the end of April 2016, Togliatti paper mill plans a test run of the paper machine in the SEZ Togliatti.
- According to the press service of Sea Port of Saint-Petersburg OJSC, quoted by Infobio agency, the transshipment of pellets through the port increased by 31% in 2015 compared to 2014 and amounted to 161,100 tonnes. The port of St. Petersburg was one of the first sites where pellet exports to Europe started.
- The Russian Government approved the draft federal law “On introducing amendments to article No. 149 of the Chapter 2 of the Tax code of the Russian Federation”, as reported on the website of the government. The bill provides for VAT exemption for wastepaper trade in Russia.
More detailed news of the Russian timber industry and review of global market trends of roundwood, lumber, wood panels and pellets; exclusive articles and interviews; over 25 pages of price charts are available in our digital Russian Timber Journal.